The coronavirus pandemic is all around us and the influences on our daily life are dramatic. Many customers want to know if and how an air purifier can help them to avoid an infection with the virus. In this blog post we give you more context about the virus, the effect of air purification and speak about measures you can take to avoid infection.
WHAT IS THE CORONAVIRUS?
The coronavirus we are currently talking about got the scientific name SARS-CoV-2 (severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2) and is part of the coronavirus family. SARS-CoV-2 can cause a respiratory disease called COVID-19.
CAN AN AIR PURIFIER FILTER THE CORONAVIRUS OUT OF THE AIR?
An air purifier filters smallest particles out of the air. Depending on its specifications, an air purifier filter removes particles as small as a few microns in diameter. Right now, the exact size of the coronavirus is not yet known (different sources mention different sizes/diameters) and we are unable to say, how efficiently air purifiers can remove this particular virus from the air. We assume, that part of the viruses might be absorbed in the filter (HEPA or electrostatic), but not all the viruses can be removed from the air. Furthermore, it is important to know that the virus can survive quite some time in a filter. For this reason, it is very important to regularly exchange or clean the filters of your air purifier.
CAN AN AIR PURIFIER PROTECT ME AND MY FAMILY FROM THE VIRUS?
As a 100% removal rate is impossible, an air purifier will not effectively protect you from the coronavirus or a coronavirus infection. Of course, an air purifier will still improve the indoor air quality. If you suffer from allergies, polluted air or VOCs in the air – an air purifier will enhance your quality of life. Nevertheless, please note that an air purifier will not protect you and your beloved ones from the SARS-CoV-2.
On a positive note, there are a few simple rules you can follow to protect yourself from an infection. Please make sure to follow these recommendations and to make the people around you aware of these simple measures.
PROTECTIVE MEASURES AGAINST THE CORONAVIRUS
- Wash your hands often and thoroughly with soap (approx. for 30s)
- Avoid touching your face
- Sneeze or cough in your bent elbow
- Put used tissues in a closed trash can
- Stay at home if you have a fever or a cough
- Call the doctor or hospital prior to going there, you will get clear instructions what to do and where to go
- Avoid big crowds and events with a lot of people, the more people the higher the potential exposure to the virus
- Keep a distance of at least 2 m between you and other people
- Disinfect surfaces such as mobile phone screens, door handles, light switches, faucet handles etc. daily